Wednesday, September 14, 2011

It's All About Observing & Experiencing.

When I first go to Sweden it was raining. There were trees. So pretty much it was just like Bham. Except now that I've been here for almost a month, I've decided it's not the same at all. There are quite a lot of random things that I'm going to share about. In no particular order I will try to remember some of them and tell you guys.
  •  Cars. Cars here are little. In America SUVs and trucks are common. Here I have seen approximately zero SUVS and maybe two trucks. Now I bet you're wondering how Swedes haul trailers and stuff. Well you may not know this, but Mercedes and Audis seem to work great, they look real classy going around the roundabouts with their trailers. 
  • Speaking of cars. Swedes are much better and efficient drivers than Americans. It's not really something you can appreciate until you drive on a freeway here. Plus roundabouts are genius. Varberg had about three hundred and sixteen of them. 
  • Cake. American cake sucks. I always knew that. But maybe you didn't know that. I have tried five different Swedish cakes that I can think of already. And they are just so delicious. Mmm. It's my name day on Tuesday so I get cake! 
  • Let's see here. Oh! Robinson. So I am assuming everyone knows what Survivor is. Well Sweden is awesome, so they have Robinson. (Essentially the same thing. Apart from that Swedish television doesn't really believe in any sort of censorship. At all.) Oh and they also have Idol. So pretty much American Idol..but instead with Swedish people. A good portion of the television here is English with subtitles, so they are pretty proud of the shows that are actually their own.
  • Rain. Rain rain rain rainnnnn. I love rain so much that I thought I would take it with me to Sweden and leave the beautiful sunshine in Bellingham. Whatttt was I thinking. I would like to tell you guys a story. Sometime, I don't remember when, I was biking to the bus stop. It was raining. I took a shower before I left the house. When I got to the bus stop (literally a two minute bike ride all downhill) it was like I had showered in my clothes. So school was a lot of fun that day. Cause I love being wet. When it rains here, it pours. Not Bham drizzle..Varberg waterfall raindrops. Apparently it has been raining more than usual lately...but who knows. At least they know how to heat their schools.
  • So since I talked about rain, I will talk about wind. The hurricane wasn't done in New York, it flew over to visit us here too! It has been howling for the past couple days. I have to concentrate harder to keep my bike going straight. Cause in the mornings I'm kinda tired.
  • Stoplights. I knowwww, super exciting. When the lights are going back to green after being red, they turn yellow in between. So it goes red, yellow, green and green, yellow, red. Today I was wondering why it is green. Red and yellow are primary colors. So why does go get to be green...not blue...
  • Swedish people. Buses here are amusing. Here is how a typical bus scenario would play out. A person would get on the bus, sit down by the window with their bag in the seat next to them. This goes on until all the window seats are full. Generally speaking the next person to get on would rather stand up, than sit down in an open seat next to someone unless they know them. You don't really smile at anyone..and your bag is your best friend. I smile at least.
  • Wind power! So you know those tall white windmill things that get energy from wind? Well they have those here. On my way home last weekend I decided to count them. I counted nearly 100 in a 30km stretch. I thought it was a lot, I dunno about you.
  • None of the people in my class have worn sweatpants yet this year to school. Except me. I was planning on trying to dress a little nicer here..so I could make at least one friend...but I love sweats too much. They'll be my friend at least. 
  • I wanted to tell everyone that on Monday's I get home from school at half past twelve. And on Friday's I start at ten to two and am done at four. I like it here:) Don't worry, that isn't the only reason.
  • It is so strange seeing the ocean here. Coming from Bham, I am used to seeing the ocean with a backdrop of islands. Here it is the open seas. It is surprisingly different. Although last weekend I went down to Helsingborg...and guess what you can see from there! Denmark! 
  • Dialects in Sweden are very distinct. If I were to drive to Seattle...the people would sound the same to me. If I travel even 30km South here..I can already hear the difference. Everything in Sweden is in a much smaller scale. Sweden is not a whole lot bigger than California..

I thought I should take a moment to talk about the Bellingham Cousin Clan. As of Monday we are all officially in different parts of the world. I am in Sweden. Ryan is in Maine. Calvin is in Oregon. Katie is in California. And Jason is still in Bham to hold down the fort until we reunite next summer. Can't forget our roots! You guys are the best. Jason I miss you, and I hope you are doing okay at Sehome without me..I am sorry I left you there all alone.

Speaking of cousins. Tangenttt! On Saturday I am going to Göteborg for an AFS event of some sort. Buuut afterwards I am going to the Fosse's house. It's been a while since I have seen them all...but I can't wait:) Hopefully Farmor och Farfar skall komma också. Yay for family!

Mom and Pop I miss you guys toooooo. But I do love it here, so don't even think of coming and taking me home! Although I bet you guys are at least getting someee satisfaction out of the peace and quiet at home. Mom-Today at lunch I had a couple peas, some lettuce, anc some carrots. I ate and apple when I got home, and had more carrots at dinner. I thought you might be proud, I'll refrain from talking about all the other days though..:) Pop-Dina kanel bullar är mycket bättre än dem jag åt ner i Helsingborg. Du vet ju hur att baka. Jag fick 32 ur 44 på en Svenk grammatik prov som jag tog på fosta dan i Svenska två. Jag lär mig! Jag ska få hundra procent når det är dax för mig att komma hem! Jag bara fuskade lite med Google Translate..jag lovar!

Hej så lange! Jag måste gå borsta mina tänder nu!

No comments:

Post a Comment